Compulsory Basic Training(CBT)
Prices from £100
Compulsory basic training (CBT) is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road.
The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test.
CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail.
After you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:
- moped if you’re 16 or over
- motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over
You must use L plates (L plates)
You must pass your full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years, or you have to either take CBT again or stop riding.
You can be fined up to £1,000 and get up to 6 penalty points for riding if you don’t have a valid CBT certificate.
When you don’t need to take CBT
You don’t have to take CBT if you:
- want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
- want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
- have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
Whilst many complete all the elements in one day, some may have to return for further training.
We at Alba Motorcycle Training have a duty of care to both You and other Road users.
On obtaining your CBT certificate you will be legally entitled to Ride on the public highway, displaying L Plates.
CBTs can be obtained from age 16 over. Restrictions do apply.